Sunday, January 25, 2009

Millard Clark Gatchell in Navy

Here's another great photo of my grandfather, Millard Clark Gatchell in his Navy uniform. I didn't realize until I began writing this blog that there were so many pictures of my grandfather--and alot of them in his Navy uniform.

I need to do some research to see if I can see what ships he served on and what campaigns he participated in during World War II. Not many stories have been passed down to me about his military experience.

My father recently shared a story with me about when my grandfather worked for the railroad he would at times bring home cases of Kelloggs cereal when a box car would bust open. I'd never thought of this happening but it makes sense. As a kid we'd always stop when we found something in the road.

One of the found items I can recall from my childhood is finding a large racoon hit on the road. My Dad picked it up and skinned it, took it to town and got $20 for the skin.

No comments: